Easy, super moist, and delicious cake with large chunks of apples and chopped walnuts in every bite.
Before I begin to publish all of the Christmas sweets, I decided to share this Apple walnut cake with you, because it would be a crime to keep a recipe just for me.
I was totally into apple desserts this fall and I must confess, this apple and walnut cake is the best cake I made this apple season.
I still got 4 full creates of all varieties of apples waiting to be eaten or baked. Still, I have to hurry, since we do not use any chemicals to treat the apples, so they are going bad really fast.
Easy, super moist, and delicious cake with large chunks of apples and chopped walnuts in every bite. And drizzled with wonderful sugar cinnamon glaze is ah-mazing!!!
This cake requires only basic ingredients… flour, corn starch, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, baking soda, baking powder, apple, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla extract and apple sauce (I did steal my baby girls one baby apple sauce jar to make this :)).
Ok, although I love butter, and use it in 80% of my cakes, I decided to make this cake with oil, because I wanted it to be extra moist. And that was the first time I used my 25 cm (10inch) cast iron skillet to make the cake. If you don’t have cast iron, use 10-inch springform pan or round baking pan.
Apple Walnut Cake
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 120 ml oil (1/2 cup) I used sunflower
- 250 grams all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 50 grams brown sugar 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams applesauce (1 cup)
- 2-3 apples peeled, cored and chopped (around 300 grams, 10 oz)
- 80 grams chopped walnuts (2.8 oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the glaze:
- 30 grams melted butter (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 60 grams powdered sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C (350 F).
- Grease a 25 cm (10inch) cast-iron skillet with oil and line bottom with parchment paper. Or grease and flour 25 cm springform pan.
- Sift together flour and cornstarch a few times. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour and starch mixture, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar, until frothy around 2 minutes. Whisk in oil, vanilla extract, and apple sauce.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula slowly incorporate dry ingredients, mixing well with each addition.
- Stir in chopped nuts and apples. Pour into prepared skillet or springform pan and spread evenly. Top with sliced apples, if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 min, or until a toothpick comes out dry. Rotate the pan once or twice during baking. If the top starts to brown too fast, cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before topping with glaze and more chopped nuts.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Pour over cooled cake.
Leave a Reply