There is nothing like creamy, rich, comforting Beef Stroganoff. One bite and you’ll see why russian aristocracy from 19th century was crazy about this dish! So simple, yet so flavorful.
Stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes. It is super easy to make, and I always have all ingredients at home. I do not use beef always, I mostly use veal, but pork and chicken are delicious in this meal, too. I’ve already written about the “beef situation” in Croatia, beef for super soft, and juicy steak is almost nowhere to find. And if you find it, it costs fortune. Don’t be confused, we do have beef, but it have to be ccoked for 1-2 hours to make it soft, or it will taste like rubber – it ‘s just different kind of cow breed. One grocery store has finally decided to sell a perfect steak (rib eye steak) from Uruguay and when I buy beef, I buy that one.
Stroganoff is usually served with noodles, but it also pairs well with rice, polenta, barley and potatoes. In fact, you can eat it only with bread, if you like.
- 500 grams (1 lb) thinly sliced steak, or any other kind of meat
- 4 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 200 grams (8 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) beef broth or water
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skiillet melt 2 tbsp butter and brown beef on every side for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove meat with slotted spoon and set aside (if your skillet is small, cook meat in batches).
- In the same skillet add remaining butter, when melted add chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes, add garlic and sliced mushrooms and saute until onions and mushrooms are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour, stir well, cook for 1 minute, than add white wine to deglaze the pan. Stir well. Cook for additional few minutes, then add beef broth or water and stir to combine. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add sour cream and mustard, stir well, and stir in cooked beef. Season with salt and pepper and cook until beef is warmed through.
- Serve over noodles, rice, mashed potatoes etc.