This is one of my favorite dishes. It really tasty, super easy and simple to make, it is done under one hour and perfect for busy weekdays. At first I wanted to call this recipe Chicken and Chorizo Rice, but I didn’t use Chorizio sausage in this one.
To be honest, here in Croatia it is really hard to find Chorizo sausage. Only one from all grocery stores has Chorizo but not in regular offer. You can find it only once in few months when they have “Spanish Week”. Then you can buy all things Spanish. Actually I don’t mind this, because I have found perfect substitution and it is even more tasty then Chorizo.
Sausage that I used in this recipe is our domestic dry sausage called Baranja Sausage. Actually it has similar taste as Kulen Sausage (but it is made of different parts of pork meat). Maybe some of you have heard (or tasted) of Slavonian Kulen Sausage. If not, you don’t know what you’re missing 🙂 . I highly recommed to try it, if you are a sausage lover as I am.
- 2 chicken breast (around 300 g; 10.5 oz), cut into small chunks
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) dried and cured sausage (like Spanish Chorizo), sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (I used half of red and half of green), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 150 grams (3/4 cup, 5.7 oz) rice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup, 2.7 fl oz) white wine (optional)
- 350 ml (11/2 cup, 11.8 fl oz) chicken stock + more if necessary
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablepoons olive oil in a large sauce pan, add chicken chunks and cook until browned on every side around 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside (keep warm).
- In the same pan pour rest of the olive oil, add chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes, add chopped bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add sliced sausage and cook until browned for 3-4 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan, add minced garlic cloves, stir well and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add rice and fry for 1-2 minutes, until rice soak up the juices.
- Pour white wine (if using) and chicken stock and cook until rice is done ( around 15 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with lid and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sliced spring onion and serve warm.