Crispy wafer sheets filled with chocolate hazelnut filling. This is incredibly easy to construct, no baking required and will last in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week.
Here in Croatia we often use Oblatne (Amazon, Balkan Buy) – Wafer Sheets to make sweets. All you need is to make some kind of filling, spread it all over the sheets and leave it to stand for at least 1 hour – simple, easy and no baking required.
We actually call this kind of sweets – Homemade Napolitanke. Why Napolitanke? Croatian food factory Kraš (pronounced: Krash) produce these for years, better say decades and they are one of the best store bought sweets/cookies you can find. Napolitanke are exquisite combination of crispy wafer sheets filled with various tasty creams. The oldes and the most famous are made with chocolate cream. Nowdays they are also filled with lemon, hazlenut, coffe, cocoa and milk cream etc.
This is my version of homemade Napolitanke. They are not as crispy as store bought but they are to-die-for good.
Nowdays you can buy Kraš’s products worldwide in stores or online. If you want to try original ones, I linked Amazon above, but just write in Google “Napolitanke where to buy” and you will get many options.
- 3 eggs
- 130 grams (2/3 cup, 4.6 oz) granulated sugar
- 150 grams (2/3 cups, 5.4 oz) butter
- 150 grams (5.4 oz) semi-sweet chocolate
- 150 grams (2½ cups, 5.4 oz) ground hazelnuts
- 150 grams (1⅔ cups, 5.4 oz) cookies, crumbled (Petit Beurre Biscuits is what I used)
- 4 plain wafer sheets
- Beat eggs and sugar in top of double boiler on medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Stirring frequently cook eggs mixture for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave (or on a stove in small saucepan) melt butter and chocolate.
- Pour melted choclate into eggs mixture, stirring cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Grind your cookies in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Remove top of the double broiler from heat and add ground hazelnuts and cookie crumbs. Stir well until incorporated.
- Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Take one wafer sheet and spread ⅓ od mixture over, cover with another sheet. Do the same with 2 remaining wafer sheets and cover with 4th sheet. Do not spread chocolate over the top layer. Leave it to cold(*see Notes).
- Gather the plastic wrap or foil from both sides and wrap the wafer cake well before refrigerating for a few hours.
- Cut into rectangle shapes before serving.