Is there anything better than a warm and comforting cup of hot cocoa on a cold fall or winter day?
It is incredibly rich and creamy, and the taste is absolutely out of this world. This recipe became quickly our favorite family hot cocoa recipe. Forget about the dry powder hot cocoa mix, because this is the only recipe you’ll ever need.
We are great lovers of hot cocoa, hot chocolate, Nesquik, you name it… I found this recipe way back in 2010 when I was craving for hot cocoa and didn’t have Nesquik powder in my pantry. The original recipe calls for half-and-half cream, and back then I didn’t know what the hack is half-and-half, since we don’t have it in Croatia. So I searched the internet to find a substitution for it, only to find that is a mixture of whole milk and light cream. And that is all I need to know. I tweaked the recipe to my likening at got this yummy cold-day drink!
Creamy Hot Cocoa
- 30 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (1/3 cup; 1.05 oz)
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup; 3.5 oz)
- 80 ml boiling water (1/3 cup)
- 900 ml whole milk , 3 1/2 cup: 30 fl oz
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80 ml heavy cream (1/3 cup)
- pinch of salt
- Combine the cocoa, sugar, and pinch of salt in a saucepan and blend in the boiling water.
- Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir.
- Simmer and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch.
- Stir in milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and heavy cream, stir well.
- Divide between 4 mugs. Add whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, caramel, or any other topping you like.
Leave a Reply