Dumplings from tasty potato dough, stuffed with sweet fresh plums and rolled in buttered bread crumbs with a drizzle of creamy sour cream mixed with sugar. Since they taste fantastic you will love them as dessert, brunch or even as a main meal.
Dumplings with plums are dish which is traditionally made from potatoes, flour, butter, eggs and plums, and after cooking are rolled in buttered bread crumbs and then served with creamy sweet sauce – sour cream with sugar.
Last Saturday I woke up and the first thought what to cook for today’s lunch was Knedle sa šljivama. Unfortunately, at local grocery store they had only one variety of plums (since they are not in season), but dumplings made out fantastic.
This dish is one of my favorite childhood dishes, which we unfortunately do not cook so often any more, while they require a little bit of time, but the biggest problem is that plums needed for this dish is now days hard to find (since my great grandmother and grandmother used old croatian plum variety). Since my grandmother had cows, we always had sour cream made from fresh milk, the one you can buy on farmer’s market, and before serving Knedle, she put to boil that same sour cream and sugar…. what to say…divne. Store bought sour cream tends, while cooking, get lumply, so I don’t recommend you to cook it, just follow the recipe.
As for the plums you can use, you can go with any plums that are sweet when they are ripe, such as Damson plums, French prunes, Angelino plums and Italian prune plums
- 1 kg (2 lb) potatoes
- 80 grams (6 tbsp; 2.82 oz) butter
- 1 egg
- 250 grams (2 cups; 8.8 oz) all-purpose flour + more for kneeding
- pinch of salt
- about 20 plums (or 20 plums halves, if plums are big)
- 50 grams (1/4 cup; 1.8oz) sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 60 grams (4 tablespoons; 2.1 oz) butter
- 50 grams (1/2 cup; 1.9oz) bread crumbs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- sour cream +sugar
- Wash potatoes and cook them in shell until tender. Peel them while they are still hot, mash them into puree with butter and salt (be sure there is no lumps left). Leave it to cool to room temperature.
- When potato puree is cooled, add 1 egg and flour. Sprinke work surface with some flour, and knead the dough until smooth (add more flour if dough is too sticky).
- Cut the dough into 20 equaly sized pices/balls.
- In a small bowl mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Wash plums, cut them in half if they are big ( if you use small plums, no need to deseed them-this way you will keep juices inside) and roll each plu into sugar and cinnamon mixture. Take each piece pf dough and gently flatten it in your hand. Please plum into the center of each dough round, enclose it completly and roll it into a ball.
- Drop dumplings in the boiling water and cook at simmer for around 15 minutes (when dumplings rise to surface cook them 2-3 more minutes).
- While dumplings are cooking melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, add breadcrumbs and allow them to brown a little.
- In a small serving bowl combine sour cream, vanilla extract and sugar and stir ti dissolve. Set aside.
- Drain cooked dumpimgs, roll each one into buttered breadcrumbs.
- To serve, sprinkle wit some sour cream and sugar mixture.