Flavorful noodles with crisp veggies, and rich sauce that is bursting with flavor.
Hearty and crunchy in garlicky soy sauce with matchstick carrots, crispy bell peppers, healthy bok choy, shitake mushrooms and spring onions this vegetable Lo Mein is one of the easiest meal to prepare and yet so nutritious and oh so delicious. Made under 30 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights.
Preparing this meal is an opportunity to clean up your fridge vegetables. You don’t need to stick strictly to the recipe with veggies, you can put any kind of veggies you have in the fridge.
Best vegetables for Lo Mein:
Red, green or yellow bell pepper
Mushrooms, cremini, button or shitake
Bok choy (or even baby spinach)
It is important that you don’t overcook the veggies, they have to be cooked through but still with a crispy bite.
Easy Vegetable Lo Mein
- 240 grams uncooked lo mein noodles or spaghetti (8 oz)
- 2 carrots julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 125 grams shitake mushrooms (1 1/2 cup) sliced
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 1 baby bok choy chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame or vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 60 ml soy sauce (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil, set aside..
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat sesame or vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, ginger spring onions (white parts), mushrooms, bell pepper, bok choy, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and cooked noodles and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with remaining green onions and sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply