A flourless chocolate cake featuring both dark chocolate and cocoa is decadent, fudgy, and RICH!!! I mean really chocolately rich, 360 grams of dark chocolate RICH!!! This easy 7- ingredients-only cake is a perfect cake for real chocolate lovers. It also happens to be gluten-free.
Have you ever tried flourless chocolate cake? If you are as big chocolate lover as I am, it is a must bake! It is every chocolate lover’s dream come true! It is dense and fudgy and perfectly rich, 360 grams of dark chocolate rich. Pure chocolate heaven in every bite!
- dark chocolate. Good quality chocolate is a MUST! I frequently use chocolate which contains between 60 and 75% of cocoa solids. Don’t use chocolate chips!!!
- granulated sugar
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract and espresso powder (optional)
HOW TO STORE FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE?
Although this cake doesn’t need to be refrigerated, I like to put it in the fridge since it will last longer.
You can keep it 2-3 days at room temperature. If you need it to last longer than that, refrigerate it wraped in plastic foil, but, before serving let it sit at room temperature for an hour or two.
IS FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE GLUTEN FREE?
Yes it is! It contains no flour, so it is a perfect option for people with gluten intolerance. But you don’t need to be on a gluten free diet, to love this cake !
During baking, the cake will rise and the top will crack slightly. Then, as it cools, it will sink and gain additional cracks. But don’t worry – this is perfectly fine and exactly how it should be.
Don’t overbake it! Pay attention to the cake during baking. You don’t want to bake it fully and dry it out. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with moist crumbs. For a super fudgy texture, bake for about 30-35 minutes. If you want it a bit drier, bake for longer.
The cake sets as it cools and it MUST be completely cooled before being sliced, otherwise it will be to fudgy, and probably will fall apart (believe me, been there, done that). To be sure it is completely cooled, pop it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 23 cm (9 inch) springform pan
- 240 grams (1 cup, 8.5 oz) butter
- 360 grams (12.7 oz) dark chocolate 60-70% cocoa solids
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cup, 8.8 oz) granulated sugar divided
- 5 eggs separated, room temperature
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) water
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 25 grams (1/4 cup, 0.9 oz) cocoa powder sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350 °F).
- Lightly grease and line the base and side of 23 cm (9inch) spring-form cake tin with baking paper.
- In medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat then take of the heat, add in chopped chocolate and stir until melted.
- In a small sauce pan pour in water and add half of granulated sugar. Cook until sugar is dissolved and syrup has thickened a bit, around 4-5 minutes, add in espresso powder, stir and remove from heat.
- Pour hot syrup over melted butter and chocolate and stir until combined.
- Separate 3 of the 5 eggs, placing the egg whites and yolks in separate medium-sized bowls. In the bowl with with yolks add the vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt and remaining eggs. Whisk well to combine. Slowly add the cooled chocolate and butter mixture into the yolk mixture. Whisk well and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with whisk attachment whisk the egg whites until very frothy, the add in rest of the sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture until combined, making sure there are no visible streaks of egg white.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until the top is slightly cracked and the middle no longer moves, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven. (Cover the top with aluminum foil after 25 minutes if top starts to burn.)
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- The cake sets as it cools and it MUST be completely cooled before being sliced.To be sure it is completely cooled, pop it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving!
- Dust with cocoa powder or top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate.