Crispy shortbread crust with creamy dreamy lemon filling, a perfect combination of sweet and tart. This dessert makes you crave for more.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade?! Nope, make lemon tart!!! Spring has finally arrived, at least when you look at the calendar or in an astronomical way. Here in Croatia, it is winter time all over again. After only one week of warm weather, here comes the snow again and minus degrees Celsius. It is so cold outside, that I can’t believe that is the end of March.
By all means, temperatures should start to rise above zero degrees Celsius at the end of the week, so to honor that, here is one true spring/summer recipe. Hello, sunny days and warm weather!!!
The recipe is slightly adapted from Mary Berry’s Tarte au citron.
For the crust:
- 175 grams all-purpose flour (1 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp; 6.2 oz)
- 100 grams cold butter (3.5 oz) cut into small cubes
- 30 grams icing sugar (3 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cold water
For the filling:
- 5 eggs
- 125 ml heavy cream (1/2 cup; 4.2 fl oz)
- 220 grams granulated sugar (1 cup +1 tbsp; 7.76 oz)
- 4 lemons juice and zest
- pinch of salt
- To make the pastry, in a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Pulse a few time to combine, add butter and continue to pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then add egg yolk and water. Pulse again until the mixture sticks together then tip onto the work surface and knead a pastry two or three times to make it smooth.
- Grease 23 cm/9inch tart pan.
- Press pastry firmly and evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan, trim the excess pastry from the sides. Cover loosely with foil and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Remove from the fridge and fill foil with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove foil and beans and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until is pale golden and completely dry.
- Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 170 °C (325 °C).
- For the filling, whisk eggs and sugar with wire whisk, add rest of ingredients and whisk until they are all well combined. Pour filling into cooled crust. Bake for about 30 minutes or until just set but still slightly wobbly in the center.
- Cool completely and serve dusted with icing sugar.