This soup is loaded with sausage, bacon, potatoes and hearty spinach and served with a slice of crusty bread and you have a complete meal in just one bowl. This soup is delicious and pure comfort.
It was raining here for the past few days, and it is perfect weather for this comforting soup. Cooler weather for our family means a lot of warm and comforting meals, especially soups and this one is among our favorites.
Filled with sausage crumbles, buttery potatoes, and wilted spinach, this is one of my go-to soup recipes whenever the temperature outside starts to drop.
This soup among bolognese soup and creamy vegetable soup is one of my favorites, it is simple, easy to make, and full of flavors.
Ingredients are simple: olive oil, onion, garlic, bacon, potatoes, sausage (any kind you like) spinach, milk, heavy cream, and broth. It’s also a forgiving recipe, so don’t fret if you don’t measure some ingredient exactly.
Spinach Potato and Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 slices bacon finely diced
- 500 grams sausage (1 lb) any kind you like, castings removed
- 1 bay leave
- 750 ml broth (3 cups) chicken or vegetable
- 240 ml milk (1 cup)
- 240 ml heavy cream (1 cup)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Add bacon to the pot and cook until crispy. Add in onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and oregano, and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth, milk and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and the cooked sausage to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.