Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies – three layers that pair perfectly, sweet and salty pretzel base, thick and fudgy brownies with chunks of dark and milk chocolate, and delicious caramel on top. And, of course, everything sprinkled with flaky sea salt. Is there anything better?
Oh yes, I have a treat for you today!
Let’s raise the brownies to a higher level- I present to you the perfect sweet and salty combination – Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies! And to make sure there is enough chocolate, I also added pieces of dark and milk chocolate to the brownies, and for a little more salty kick, everything is sprinkled with flaky sea salt. Well, how awesome this sounds?
Brownies are, definitely, one of my favorite desserts – full of chocolate (for chocolate lovers like me and most of you, I suppose), simple, and done within 45 minutes. However, for this you need a little more time to prepare, but here, the worst part is waiting for everything to completely cool and the caramel hardens a bit. But believe me, every minute’s wait is justified!
Love the salty and sweet together. Who would have thought that salt in a sweet and rich dessert would be so amazing!?! One bite and you are in brownie heaven!
What ingredients do you need to make Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- unsalted butter
- eggs, large (60 grams)
- granulated sugar and light brown sugar
- quality dark chocolate, 60-75% cocoa solids
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- dark and milk chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate, if desired
How to store Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies
Wrapping your brownies in plastic wrap is the best way to keep brownies fresh. You can also choose to keep brownies fresh by placing them in an airtight container. Store the brownies at room temperature, and they will stay fresh for about 3 days. If you want to keep your brownies fresh for longer than a few days, wrap them tightly, and then place them in the fridge.
Tips to make Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies
- I always suggest using a kitchen scale. If you don’t have one, buy it! They are cheap and you will always ensure the same results in baking.
- I use Large eggs which are around 60-65 grams without a shell. In the US it would be an XL egg.
- For best results make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you begin baking.
- Do not over bake your brownies. The best method to tell when brownies are done is with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs and not clean. Start checking at 20 minutes.
→If you make this Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies, please leave a comment, rate it and tag @mihaela_biteitquick on Instagram! I would love to see what you baked!
More brownie recipes to try
- MARSHMALLOW MOUSSE BROWNIES
- THE ULTIMATE FUDGY BROWNIES
- FUDGY PUMPKIN SWIRL BROWNIES
- CHAI SPICED WHOLE WHEAT BROWNIES
Pretzel Bottom Caramel Brownies
- 100 grams pretzels 3.5 oz
- 30 grams granulated sugar 2 Tablespoons
- 80 grams butter 1/3 cup
- 120 grams unsalted butter ½ cup
- 200 grams good quality dark chocolate 7 oz
- 100 grams granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- 100 grams brown sugar 1/2 cup
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 grams cocoa powder 2 Tbsp, sifted, I use dutch processed
- 80 grams all-purpose/plain flour 2/3 cup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- optional: 50 grams chopped dark chocolate and 50 grams chopped milk chocolate 1.76 oz each
- 200 grams granulated sugar 1 cup
- 90 grams unsalted butter 3.17 oz, cut into pieces
- 80 grams heavy cream 2.8 oz
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line 20x20 cm (8x8-inch) baking pan with parchment paper.
- For pretzel bottom, grind the pretzels in a food processor or put them in zip-top bag and run rolling pin over the pretzels to crush them.
- In a bowl, mix together the pretzel crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until everything is moistened and evenly mixed. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press the crust mixture across the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the fridge.
- For brownies, melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from heat and add in 200 grams chopped chocolate. Stir until melted and completely smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl whisk flour, sifted cocoa powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs, both sugars and vanilla for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture and beat for 1 minute.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients until incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate if using. Don't over mix. Batter will be very thick. Remove the pan from the fridge and pour the batter over pretzel crust. Bake around 25 minutes (it can take 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven), or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with few moist crumbs (but not wet batter). Leave to cool slightly until you make caramel.
- For caramel, heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. The sugar will clump up first, but will eventually completely melt. Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter and whisk until combined. Be careful because the mixture will bubble up. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted. Slowly pour the heavy cream into the caramel and whisk until incorporated. Allow the mixture to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Cool for about 5 minutes, then pour over brownies into even layer. Cool completely, for 6-7 hours, preferebly overnight before cutting and serving. If desired, sprinkle with flaky sea salt.