Chia Pudding – the best and the simplest breakfast ever. And HEALTHY – packed with proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals!
Few years ago everyone started to talk about Chia seeds. I didn’t have a clue what chia seeds are. Chia seeds are SUPERFOOD – ok, whats that mean?! So I went to my local healty food store – BIO&BIO, to get some. I was shocked when I saw a price. But I’ve still bought it. Ok, I have chia seeds, now what?! I searched the internet to see how it is consumed, and found that had to be diluted in any kind of liquid, and I used water, just because I was eager to know how it taste. After 10 minutes, when I saw this sleazy, gelatin like mixuture I wasn’t sure I’m gonna like it. And I didn’t – it was tastless. I was disappointed at first, but now I have those freakin’ seeds and I have to know the way how to use it. First I used in in smoothies, and then I found an amazing recipe – Chia Pudding. And then I fall in love with it ♥ !
I’ve experimented with the recipe, used whole milk, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk…. sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave syrup… Whole milk and maple syrup was my favorite, but I need some more proteins, since I wanted this to be a perfect breakfast. And then I used plain Greek Yogurt. Bingo!
Ok, let see a Chia seeds nutrition profile: Dietary fibers, Proteins, Omega-3 fatty acids, Omega-6 fatty acids, Calcium, Copper, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. Chia also contains essential fatty acids alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid, mucin, strontium, Vitamins A, B, E, and D, and minerals including sulphur, iron, iodine, magnesium, manganese, niacin, thiamine, and they are a rich source of anti-oxidants. Now I understand why it is called Superfood!
- 320 ml (1⅓ cup) milk (use milk of your choice)
- 40 grams (1/4 cup) chia seeds
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup - use more if you are a sweet tooth
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bow mix chia seeds, milk and vanilla. Make sure chia seeds are properly mixed in.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge add yogurt and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Top with fresh berries, desiccated coconut, oats...