No matter how we considered this simple, yet luxurious dessert as croatian, Šnenokle, originally Schneenockerln, is Austrian recipe that was due to its simplicity in preparation and richness in taste spread away from its homeland.
I was convinced many times that simplest things are actually the best, and that can be best seen in this dessert, for whose preparation only takes few eggs, milk and sugar.
Basically it’s egg white dumplings served with a vanilla custard that’s made using the milk in which they were cooked.
But as simple as it looks, not everyone succeed in its preparation. Although the preparation is quite simple, often happens that Šnenokle fail. Here, I will try to give a few basic tips and guidelines so Šnenokle turn out snowy white fluffy clouds in fine, yellow cream, preferably free of lumps and very fine texture.
Its simplicity raises the possibility of improvisation, so Šnenokle can be served with biscuits, sprinkled with chocolate, drizzled with fruit syrups, and the occasional scoop of ice cream. Eat them cold! If you manage to hold on while they are chilling, I rarely can 🙂
Basic principle for cooking egg whites snow dumplings, is that they are cooked together in very hot milk, almost boiling, BUT make sure the milk doesn’t boil or dumplings will puff then collapse, so cook them on very low heat. Cook them approximately 30 seconds on each side. For the cream there is not so much philosophy, it is only necessary stirring constantly while egg yolks and sugar are cooking than add a little vanilla pudding powder (cook and serve kind) or flour and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the cream thickens.
Originally cream goes with flour, but I prefer it made with vanilla pudding powder. Either way, cream taste very good.
They are quickly made. Chilled and served in a bowl and sprinkled with some chocolate or any topping, they become a true gourmet pleasure. Enjoy!
- 1000 mililiter (1 Liter, 4 cups, 33.8 fl oz) milk
- 4 eggs
- 4 hipping tablespoons sugar (or more if you are a sweet tooth)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla pudding powder (cook and serve) or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- pinch of cream of tartar or drizzle of lemon juice (so egg whites stay firm)
- chocolate shavings for garnish, optional
- Separate the egg whites and yolks. Whisk the egg whites with a mixer until stiff (add lemon juice or cream of tartar).
- In a large saucepan, boil milk but be sure that milk is NOT actually boiling. Using a serving spoon dipped in cold water, shape big quenelles of the egg whites snow and gently poach in the milk turning after 30 seconds.
- When fully cooked, gently place them in a bowl in which you will serve Šnenokle.
- At once you will be able to cook 5-6 spoonfuls of egg whites dumplings, so you will have to repeat the process until all the egg whites are cooked.
- When you're finished with cooking egg whites, carefully remove from the milk all the small remains of egg whites (you can strain the milk).
- Mix egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy and pale, add vanilla pudding powder or flour and mix until incorporated. Pour egg yolk mixture into milk and stirring constantly cook for approximately 5-7 minutes, until cream thickens
- Pour hot cream over egg whites dumplings, cool and serve in small bowls. If desired, sprinkle with chocolate chips or shavings.