Speculaas Cookies!! This perfectly spiced, seriously crunchy and oh-so delicious cookies, are loaded with warm spices (cardamom =❤) and almonds, and taste divine. Perfect Christmas/winter cookie!
These are very crunchy, very delicious and well spiced Speculaas Cookies. This year I decided to make my own, since I always buy them. Believe me, that the house smelled fantasticly all night, since I baked them in the evening! Glass of milk and 6 of these for breakfast, I couldn’t resist.
INGREDIETNS YOU NEED FOR SPECULAAS COOKIES
- unsalted butter
- light or dark brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- ground almonds/almond flour
- baking powder and salt
- vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, ground cloves, ground ginger and ground nutmeg
- optional: egg white, sliced almonds, finelly chopped almonds
HOW TO PREPARE SPECULAAS COOKIES
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy, beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients – dough will be crumbly.
- Knead the dough with your hands until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough and cut the cookies.
- To decorate, lightly whisk egg white, brush over the shaped cookies and press chopped/sliced almonds.
- Bake, cool and enjoy!
HOW LONG DOES SPECULAAS COOKIES LAST AND HOW TO STORE IT?
Store them in airtight container at room temperature up to a week or in a freezer for up to 2 months.
TIPS AND TRICKS!
- I always suggest using a kitchen scale. If you don’t have one, buy it! They are cheap and you will always ensure same results in baking.
- For best results make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you begin making the dough.
- You can use 3 teaspoons speculaas spice mix or pumpkin spice mix instead of separated spices (if you use pumpkin spice I would add at least 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom)
- WALNUT AND COCOA RUGELACH
- WALNUT AND RUM CRINKLE COOKIES
- GINGERBREAD WHOOPIE PIES
- BROWNIE S’MORES COOKIES
- BROWN BUTTER TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK AND WALNUT OATMEAL COOKIES
- WALNUT MERINGUE CRESCENT COOKIES
- GRANDMA’S JAM FILLED SOUR CREAM COOKIES
- 150 grams unsalted butter 10 Tbsp, 5.3 oz, room temperture
- 150 grams light or dark brown sugar 3/4 cup
- 1 large egg 60 grams, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 grams ground almonds/almond flour
- 300 grams all-purpose/plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
optional for decoration
- 1 egg white
- finelly chopped blanched almonds
- sliced almonds
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a mixing bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into butter mixture and mix until just incorporated, dough will be crumbly. Transfer a dough to really lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth. Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight). If the dough stands in the fridge for few hours or overnight, take it out and leave it on the counter 15-20 prior rolling and shaping.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough until 5 mm (1/5 inch) thick. Using a cookie cutter of your choice (or speculaas cookie mold if you have one (then I would be jealous :)) – you won't need any decorating then). If you have cookie stamps, then roll the dough into a small ball and press with a lightly floured cookie stamp (no need to decorate, again).
- If you use simple cookie cutter and want to decorate with chopped/sliced almonds, then in a small bowl lightly beat egg white and using a pastry brush, brush it over a shaped cookie dough and press few pieces of sliced almonds or sprinkle with chopped almonds, press them lightly to stick to the dough.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or just until the edges starts to lightly brown, be careful not to overbake.
- Leave it to cool on a baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for a week.