These Whole Wheat Honey Strawberry Muffins are bursting with fresh strawberries and are free of refined sugar. They’re also incredibly moist, soft, delicious, and enriched with whole wheat flour! With how easy these are to make, you can have a fresh batch of warm muffins in just about 30 minutes!
Strawberry season should be at its peak at the moment, but I have a hard time finding fresh strawberries these days. Unfortunately, the weather condition in Croatia is a culprit for a bad strawberry season. The first blossoms in April were hit by the frost and the rest of the spring was rainy, so strawberries started to rot before they were ripe.
But let’s go back to these Whole Wheat Honey Strawberry Muffins.
I like these muffins more than the average muffin since this recipe is 100% whole grain, plus they are sweetened with honey. So no refined sugar! Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about sweet, my motto is “bring on all the sugar”, but lately, I started to make healthier desserts.
Muffins are so easy to make, quick and you don’t have to wait for them to cool before digging in.
Last but not least, these muffins are super moist and stay moist for days. Since we use oil instead of butter, it creates a soft and moist texture to keep these muffins tasting fresh for days, although I guarantee you, they won’t live beyond one day in your house.
HOW DO YOU MAKE HONEY STRAWBERRY MUFFINS FROM SCRATCH
First and foremost, use ripe and flavorful berries. Chop them into smaller pieces. I prefer using fresh strawberries, but if using frozen berries, let them thaw enough that you can separate them and cut them into pieces. Stir into the batter while still frozen.
First of all, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. These are your dry ingredients
In a separate smaller bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients. This includes oil, honey, egg, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold the two together. It’s really important not to over mix because we want a tender muffin, not a tough muffin. Gently fold in chopped strawberries, then stir without over-mixing the batter.
Make sure to sprinkle a few chopped strawberries on top of the muffins before baking, so you have beautiful jewel-studded treats. And as a final touch to these honey strawberry muffins, I like to add a sprinkle of coarse sugar.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT DOMED MUFFINS?
If the texture of your batter is pretty thick, not thin, then it’s the right consistency. While baking, thick batter lifts up rather than spread out.
Fill the muffins pans to the very top.
First, bake the muffins at a higher temperature of 220°C (425°F) for 5-8 minutes. This initial high oven temperature causes the batter to have greater oven spring during the first few minutes of baking and it quickly lifts up the muffin top, without burning the muffins. Then lower the temperature to 180°C (350°F) for the rest of the time. Once the temperature is lowered, the centers of the muffins bake.
HOW LONG DO HONEY STRAWBERRY MUFFINS KEEP?
To store the muffins, cool completely and then place them in an airtight plastic bag. Keep the muffins at room temperature for up to 3 days, or keep them in the fridge for up to 1 week. Muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter.
FOR MORE STRAWBERRY RECIPES, TRY THESE…
→If you make this Honey Strawberry Muffins, please leave a comment, rate it, and tag @mihaela_biteitquick on Instagram, because I would love to see what you baked!
Whole Wheat Honey Strawberry Muffins
- 220 grams whole wheat flour ( 7.76 oz, 1 ¾ cups), all-purpose flour can be used instead of WWF
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 5 grams
- ½ teaspoon baking soda 2 grams
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg 60 grams
- 120 grams oil 1/2 cup
- 250 grams plain yogurt (1 cup) sour cream or greek yogurt can be used
- 120 grams runny honey 4.23 oz
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 grams fresh strawberries (8.8 oz) chopped
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon optional
- coarse sugar for sprinkling optional
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F ). Line a 12-count muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients, oil, honey, egg, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the two together. Gently fold in chopped strawberries, then stir without over-mixing the batter.
- Spoon the batter into liners, filling them all the way to the top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes at 220°C (425°F) then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F). Bake for an additional 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool until ready to eat.