"Bolognese" soup or turkey (beef) tomato and pasta soup is comfort food at its best. It's hearty and filling, but not too heavy - it's just right.
Servings: 4 -5
- 2 tablespoons oil olive, sunflower, canola
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 400 grams ground turkey (1 lb) or beef
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (400 grams/14 oz cans)
- 4 cups broth chicken or beef
- 1 bay leave
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 200 grams small pasta (7 oz)
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar optional, if tomatoes are too sour
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 4-5 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Add ground turkey (or beef) season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. If using beef, when cooked, drain off the excess fat.
Add broth, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, dried oregano, sugar (if using), and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add in pasta and reduce heat to medium. Boil stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, about 15 - 20 minutes.
When cooked, remove bay leave and serve warm garnished with parmesan cheese.