This pumpkin coffee cake is simple, one layer cake with crunchy, buttery cinnamon streusel topping and drizzled with cinnamon cream cheese glaze. Perfect fall treat!
Baking pumpkin recipes become one of my favorite thing to do in the fall. I’ve become totally obsessed with pumpkin over the several years and this fall I’ve made total of 5 pumpkin dessert recipes, but not every one of them will hit the blog though. Some of them still need retest just to make sure they are as good as I claim them to be. The first pumpkin recipe of the season was delicious fudgy pumpkin swirl brownies, so if you’re into pumpkin and chocolate, go check it out.
This pumpkin coffee cake is packed with delicious pumpkin flavor with addition of warm fall spices and vanilla and it is the ultimate fall treat. The cinnamon streusel on top is what makes this pumpkin cake recipe truly divine. The cinnamon cream cheese glaze is optional, but I totally recommend it. It adds the perfect touch to the cake. You will become obsessed with this pumpkin cake recipe!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED:
- pumpkin puree
- brown and granulated sugar
- baking powder and baking soda
- cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla
- all-purpose flour
HOW TO PREPARE PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE:
1. Make the streusel topping.
2. Mix the dry ingredients.
3. Mix the wet ingredients.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
5. Pour it into a 20×20 cm (8×8 inch) baking pan and spread evenly. Before popping it in the oven, sprinkle with the streusel topping.
6. Bake and once cooled drizzle with the glaze.
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE:
You can store it at room temperature, covered for 2-3 days or refrigerated wrapped in plastic foil or in na airtight container for up to 1 week. You can also freeze it wrapped tightly and sealed in an airtight freezer bag or container for up to 6 months.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 20x20 cm (8x8 inch) baking pan
- 2 large eggs
- 250 grams (1 cup) pumpkin puree I used homemade
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) oil
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 160 grams (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) chopped walnuts optional
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) cream cheese softened
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F) and grease and flour (or line with baking paper) 20x20 cm (8x8 inch) baking pan.
- Make the streusel: In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients and place in the fridge while you make the cake.
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, pumpkin, vanilla, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined.
- Fold in dry ingredients into wet ingredients using whisk or an electric mixer on the lowest speed, until completely combined. Batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with prepared streusel topping.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on your oven). The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top starts to brown to fast, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.