A super moist chocolate cake with zucchini and whipped chocolate ganache is a real treat and also one of my favorite cakes. There’s no way you can figure out that the zucchinis are part of the cake because you can only taste chocolate which masks all signs of vegetables. Sooo good!!!
If someone had told me a few years ago that vegetables could make such a moist and delicious cake, I would really think they were crazy. But again it turned out that fruits and vegetables make the moistest cakes. And this zucchini chocolate cake is no exception. Super moist and delicious, and you can not taste zucchini at all. Zucchini is a vegetable that contains a lot of moisture and also has a neutral taste, so this is an absolute plus in this case, it provides perfect juiciness, with a real chocolate flavor that masks any signs of vegetable.
My little neighbor, whose hand adorns this photo above is not exactly a fan of zucchini, rather, he doesn’t like them at all and of course, I didn’t tell him what’s inside, but the kid ate that cake as if it was his last meal, and he asked for another slice. When I told him that the zucchini was inside, he didn’t believe it, but he didn’t complain either. He got a few more slices on a plate to take home.
With a glass of milk, a real afternoon treat. Admittedly, it would have been my dinner a few months ago, but I changed my diet and with exercise, I am well on my way to feel good in my body again, which is also one of the reasons why I bake less and spend less time on the blog and IG.
Chocolate zucchini cake
- 250 grams all-purpose flour (8.8 oz, 2 cups)
- 180 ml oil (6.1 fl oz, 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams granulated sugar (8.8 oz, 1 1/4 cup)
- 60 grams cocoa powder (2.1 oz, 1/2 cup) sifted
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 120 grams Greek yogurt or sour cream (4.23 oz, 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium zucchini shredded, you don't have to peel them, just wash them well
- 100 grams chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (3.5 oz, 1/2 cup)
- 250 ml heavy cream (8.4 fl oz, 1 cup)
- 250 grams dark chocolate (8.8 oz)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease and flour a 33x23 cm (13x9 in) baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, add vanilla extract and yogurt (or sour cream) and mix until combined.
- With a spatula mix dry ingredients into wet until barely combined. Add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake around 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center or the cake.
- Chop the chocolate and place it in a glass (or metal bowl) and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat the cream gently over low heat until simmering. If you want to use a microwave, heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute in a microwave-safe bowl. Then pour the cream over the chocolate and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Then whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Allow it to cool for an hour in the fridge. Then place the ganache in your mixer and whip until light and fluffy.
- Spread the whipped ganache evenly all over the cooled cake.