Soft, moist, perfectly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and molasses this holiday Gingerbread Loaf Cake with mascarpone lemon frosting is perfect for Christmas and is absolutely delicious!
This season I can get enough of gingerbread desserts (or cranberry desserts). This is my third gingerbread spiced dessert I made in a period of two weeks. You can check my Gingerbread Spiced Chocolate Sheet Cake and Gingerbread Whoopie Pies. And I also finally paired my two obsession for this season, gingerbread and cranberry into a gingerbread cupcakes with cranberry mascarpone cream frosting (recipe will be published later).
I had plans for my blog this year, and since I was away from baking and blogging due to health issues for most of the year until Semptember, well, plans haven’t come true. I told myself I’ll bake at least 2 cookie recipes every month, so I have something to publish at the end of the year in time for Christmas, so I do not stress myself with so much baking in a short period of time. And that is what exactly happend! I have so much fun baking (well, when someone is playing with my daughter, because she won’t let me bake or cook anything while we’re alone), but when it comes to writing a recipe, there is a problem. I only can write in the late evening or night when she sleeps, and then I am too tired, too exhausted. I am way behind of my recipe publishing schedule and I’m afraid I won’t have time to publish everything in time for Christmas and New Year, because I promised my husband no blogging or baking from December 22nd – 30th. That will be my vacation!
This wonderfully spiced cake is perfect for breakfast or with a cup of tea or glass of milk or as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. And the bonus ( ad always when you bake something gingerbready) house will smell amazing!
This gingerbread loaf cake is whipped up in only 10 minutes and uses only simple ingredients. Gingerbread spices pair well with orange too, so you can substitute lemon juice and zest with orange in the glaze.
INGREDIENTS FOR GINGERBREAD LOAF CAKE
- all-purpose/plain and whole wheat flour
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- molasses, applesauce and buttermilk
- baking soda and salt
- cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla
- mascarpone, lemon and powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD LOAF CAKE
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, molasses, vanilla and applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour into a prepared pan. Bake.
- Make the mascarpone lemon glaze.Spread over cooled cake.
HOW TO STORE GINGERBREAD LOAF CAKE
Store it refrigerated in an airtight container or for up to 5 days. You can freeze it without hte glaze for up to 2 months.
- I always suggest using a kitchen scale. If you don’t have one, buy it! They are cheap and you will always ensure same results in baking!
- You can use only all-purpose/plain flour if you don’t have whole wheat.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter, all you will get dense and tough gingerbread loaf.
- Gingerbread spices pair well with orange too, so you can substitute orange juice and zest instead of lemon in the glaze.
MORE GINGERBREAD RECIPES TO TRY
→If you make this cake, please leave a comment, rate it and tag @mihaela_biteitquick on Instagram! I would love to see what you baked!
Gingerbread Loaf Cake with Lemon Mascarpone Glaze
- 120 grams unsalted butter 1/2 cup, room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 80 grams molasses 1/4 cup
- 80 grams applesauce 1/3 cup
- 160 grams buttermilk 2/3 cup
- 220 grams all-purpose/plain flour 1 3/4 cup
- 60 grams whole wheat flour ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100 grams mascarpone room tempearture
- 45 grams butter 3 tbsp, softened
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 120-150 grams powdered sugar 1 -1 ¼ cups
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Grease and line a 23x13 cm (9×5-inch) loaf pan with baking or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flours, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. Add the molasses, vanilla and applesauce.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk in in two additions (dry-wet-dry) and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Avoid overmixing!
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for around 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. All ovens are different and your loaf cake could take a little more or less time. If it starts to look very brown on the outside but isn’t yet cooked on the inside, cover with aluminium foil. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Beat mascarpone, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar in 2 additions. Beat until creamy. Add more sugar or juice as needed for easy spreading.
Leave a Reply