Strawberry season is over 🙁
In supermarkets, strawberries are almost gone, but I managed to get two containers on the way home from a holiday on the Adriatic coast. In Croatia, it is common, that on the rest stops on the highway, people are selling domestic/organic/homemade products, and I’m grateful for that, because I always come across something I want.
The first container of strawberries we’ve eaten fresh with Nutella – yummy, and the second I decided to spend on this mouthwatering and a simple dessert. Golden, crisp top layer with fluffy underside and sweet, gooey fruit – the best dessert ever. Cobblers are so easy to throw together, you probably always have all the ingredients at home, you can just change the fruit ( fresh or frozen).
- 3 cups (500g; 17.5 oz) fresh strawberries, diced
- ¾ cup (170 g, 6 oz) + ½ cup (110g, 3.9 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (130 g, 4.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (230ml) milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick (115 g, 4 oz) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C)
- In a bowl, add strawberries and ¾ cup sugar. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add in milk, vanilla extract and melted butter. Stir until combined.
- Grease a 9 inch (22 cm) baking dish. Pour batter evenly into dish.
- Spoon strawberries evenly on top of batter. Do not stir.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Serve warm ( with ice cream) or cold.